Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Prayers & Praise Wednesday

It's Wednesday, so it's the day I ask you to pray with me on a topic that's been on my mind and for me to also offer something to give praise and thanks to God about.  So here it goes...


Let's pray:


Brothers and sisters in Christ, let's pray for a renewed spirit and courage to stand up and do the right thing.  Stand up for Jesus' name.  Stand up for each other.  Not be silenced by political correctness or the rules of the majority.


I think we all know how culture has turned in this country.  Free speech just as long as you're speaking what I'm speaking too...or something like that.  I don't want to get into the debate that's been going on in the media with a particular chicken sandwich restaurant.  It think it's been done.  


Instead, I want to share with you what happened in an adoption chatgroup I'm a part of that was really troubling and sad to me.


When Daniel and I first started exploring our options in international adoption, particularly from Africa, we looked into Ethiopia.  I joined a yahoo group for researching Ethiopian adoption.  For a variety of reasons, we felt like Ethiopia wasn't where our daughter is, but I never removed myself from this group.


Last week, there was a long thread about a particular agency that many were saying from first-hand experiences was unethical.  One lady wrote another and said something to the effect that she has peace knowing God is in control of her adoption and that He's always used infallible people, etc.  She just mentioned God.


The moderator of the group came on and said if there was going to be any more 'religious talk' that she would remove the posts per group rules.


Ok, the group rules stated that their should be no religious debates and discussion not pertaining to adoption' in so many words.  This clearly was not falling in that category and she just MENTIONED God's name.


A few people, including myself, said that if God wasn't welcome in the forum than neither were we.  It is one thing to abide by group rules and to not start a doctrinal debate but when you are told you can't mention God's name in a post, about ADOPTION..it's sickening.


Anyway, a few people replied to my post saying I used 'fighting words.'  People were very upset at the few of us that said it was wrong to be told to not mention God.


But I don't know why we are surprised.  


God is not allowed here






It's hard to find Him here


And you better not talk about Him to much here


The world wants God confined to here, one day a week

Or save Him for when we really need Him






Let's not forget, Jesus taught love.  Yes.  
Forgiveness, of course.
But Jesus was also the One who overturned the money tables and called the Pharisees 'vipers' and talked about Hell way more than He did Heaven (because He really really doesn't want us to go there).


My point is I think it's easy to be burdened down by the world and want to leave God out of our daily conversation also.  But we just can't do that.  


Let's tell people about Jesus, about His love and mercy and grace.  Let's speak with love and help them see the error of their ways so that it may lead to repentance.  


Let's be bold for the cause of Christ.




Let's Praise:


When Daniel and I first started thinking about adoption, the primary fear (at first) holding us back was how much it cost.  I mean, it's expensive.  You start thinking, how in the world will we be able to save that much money and keep on living, paying bills and getting what we need.


We've always heard that was God calls He will fund.  


Amen to that. 


We are amazed, overwhelmed, and humbled by God's financial provision.


We decided to adopt our third child last August.  A month later (imagine that), Daniel was sent to Japan for 7 weeks and came back with several thousand dollars that we used to start our adoption fund.


Then due to the new project he was moved to (by God, we believe), he's had the opportunity to work overtime.  Every day. For months now.  That doesn't hurt.  


Then there's you.  


The financial donations.  The checks and cash we've received in the mail along with beautiful cards with love and encouragement.


The support in our fundraisers (yard sale, nearly $1000), (t-shirts, 53 shirts sold, $413).


All in all, we have raised about $20,000 in just a little less than a year.  We are just shy of our goal and all we have left is our travel costs.


Praise God!!


I'm telling you this for three reasons.  


1)  You are a part of the blessing.  I want you to know how much we are thankful and encouraged by your financial support, along with your love and prayers.  It's really hard for us to find the words ad all the adjectives we need to say 'thank you.'


2)  If you are thinking about adoption, if it's just something you entertain and aren't sure how it will ever be possible, let me encourage you!  Go for it!  As a very wise woman (Kate Clayton) once told me, God wants Christian families to adopt and will make it happen.  Don't let fear hold you back.  Pray about it.  Seek opportunities and then let God amaze you.  


3)  I want to give all the glory to God.  He has blessed us with opportunities to earn extra money, He's blessed us with a supportive family and friends, and a loving and supportive church family.  


We couldn't be more thankful.  


1 comment:

  1. AMEN and AMEN! Thank you for writing this babe! We have so much to be thankful for!

    ReplyDelete