Monday, August 19, 2013

Random Thoughts on Waiting

I'm living my life in a perpetual waiting room.  Trying to distract myself with the wonderful things (well..people in this case) in the room with me and trying to enjoy my time there but always waiting for my turn, for my name to be called.  It feels like I've been in this waiting room forever.

Two years ago this month, Daniel and I decided to adopt our 3rd child.  Two years!  It's hard to believe how far we have come since that decision.  We are now, Lord willing, months away from meeting our daughter as a result of that decision.

Fourteen months ago we began the process of adopting from Congo.  Applications, homestudy visits, education classes, and dreaming about that referral. 

Seven months ago we saw her face for the first time.  Baby S became known as Selah...a real baby girl in Congo, so frail and tiny but who needed a home.  And we joyfully said "yes!" 

And now here we are, ending the summer and at a time of year when we thought Selah would be home with us, yet it's still unclear when she will be in our arms.  We are so close, but somedays it feels so far.

There's lots of excitement going on in our life right now.  We're also waiting for baby #4, coming in February.  We're waiting to move in early October.  We're building a new house...completion sometime, well, who knows really.


We have so many exciting things going on now. Changes people can see:  my belly is growing.  The house is going up right before our eyes.  We are thrilled with all of it!  But please, don't forget about Selah.  I know, it's hard to see the progress and adoption is confusing if you've never known anyone to do it.  But don't assume that building our house is the most important/stressful thing going on in our lives right now.  Don't act like the baby in my belly is the only child we are waiting for or more "our child" than that little girl in Africa.  And thanks in advance for understanding when I break down in tears.  Am I crying because we don't have Selah yet, or because of pregnancy hormones, or the stress of moving?  Your guess is as good as mine.   

My life is a perpetual waiting room.

So I'm sitting in the waiting room, trying my best to cherish the time we have left as a family of 4, enjoying my boys, staying busy, but all the while feeling an emptiness that we are missing someone. We are missing her.

Trying my best to be patient.. to wait without complaining.  That doesn't mean wait without crying or wait without venting or wait without suffering!!  I know God is faithful and His promises are true.

"And so it was, that she, having waited long and endured patiently, realized and obtained what God had promised."  Hebrews 6:15

No comments:

Post a Comment