Monday, January 28, 2013

Keep Moving Forward

Most of you know (or maybe you don't) that I stutter.  I have since I was 6 years old.  I've always gone thru periods of fluency (good speech) and then periods of varying degrees of dysfluency.  Instinct when you stutter is to back up and try the whole sentence again.  Instead of getting thru the word that's giving you a hard time and completing the thought, I always want to back up to the beginning of the sentence and try it all again.  Maybe that's the perfectionist in me!  But then you get caught in this cycle of backing up, getting stuck, backing up, getting stuck....

Incredibly frustrating.

I was told by speech pathologists (and later told my own clients) that instead of backing up, just keep moving forward.  There's no need to back up and start from square one all over again.  Just keep moving.

Doesn't that apply to so many areas of our life?  Spiritually, we can't let the guilt of past mistakes keep us from moving forward towards repentance.  In relationships, it's not normal for the relationship to never mature, but to keep growing in love and trust in each other.  Keep moving forward.

I want to apply the concept to another aspect in life, too. 

I am confident there's lots of people that want to do good in the world.  We want for our lives to make a difference.  We see all the injustices and prejudices and sadness in the world and want to change it somehow. 

But.

The need is overwhelming.  The problems too big.  The solutions too vague.  Too much to do for one person.

So what is our instinct? 

We stay still.  We don't move.  We don't do anything.

The solution? 

Move.  Do something.  Pick anything.  Doesn't have to be a big something.  Or a long-term something.  Just do.  Keep moving forward. 

Maybe you want to make a difference in the world of child trafficking.

Or hunger

Or orphan care

Or child abuse



I don't have all the solutions to these problems.  By any means.  But I know we can all do something to make a difference.  You won't cure world hunger.  Or solve the orphan crisis.  Or make sure every single child is safe.  But that reality shouldn't stop you from doing anything. 

Speaking of making a difference...a big thanks to everyone who donated for the OFA orphanage to supply each child's bed with mosquito nets to prevent malaria.  You saved lives! 

We can help one.  Or two. 

Keep moving forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment